A Reminder from Eden

A few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon Eden was supposed to be taking a nap. She stayed in her room for several hours but it was obvious she wasn’t going to fall asleep. I went into her room to tell her she could get up and we had a conversation that made me think.

After I told her she could get up she asked, “Daddy, will you play with me?” I said, “I will in a little bit. I’m working on something right now.” Her next question caught me off guard because she’s never asked this before. She said, “What are you working on?” I said, “I’m writing a blog post.”

Before I tell you where the conversation went from here, I’ll tell you a few things she did NOT say next…

“Dad, you blog? That’s awesome.”

“Wow, Dad. That sounds important. You DO need to work on that before we play.”

“Definitely finish that up first. Maybe you’ll get a lot of traffic on your site when you post it.”

Actually, she didn’t say anything at all. She wasn’t impressed and, honestly, I wasn’t very impressed with myself. I thought, “Did I really just say that out loud to my four year old?”

It reminded me of something I knew already but this time it hit me like a ton of bricks. Don’t miss the things that won’t always be there for the things that will. I came to my senses and we played with her castle.

9 comments for “A Reminder from Eden

1. September 28, 2012 at 10:47 am

Great job dad! 🙂

• September 28, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hey, thanks! And thank you for checking out my blog!

2. Bettie Lawrence
    September 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm

you are finding out our kids grow up so very fast!! Never put off as my kids grew up I regret putting them off till later!! God only lets us borrow them for such a little while!! I love the things you and Katie share with us!!

• September 28, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Thanks, Bettie! We’ve learned in a very real way that our kids don’t belong to us but to God. All we’re promised is today. I’m doing my best to soak in the moments we have with Eden…with varying degrees of success! Thanks for keeping up with us. I hope to meet you some day!

• Bettie Lawrence
        October 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

We were so happy to see you on Sunday wish I could have seen my Katie!! As I said Sunday we are praying for you guys!! Remember what I said When God closes a door he will open a window at sometime when we least expect it!!!! God Bless you guys

3. Monica Buxton
    September 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love this and I’m guilty! Thanks so much for sharing!

• September 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thanks, Monica. I’m guilty more than I would like to admit.

4. alexwellss
    November 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

Reblogged this on ramblings and commented:
    a simple, honest blog that i felt was worth sharing.

5. December 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

Love this Neil, thank you for being transparent with us. Soon, I will be hearing questions like this.